Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Travel Playlist


Anyone who knows me will tell you I have a playlist for almost everything: Christmas parties, birthday parties, driving, doing homework, cleaning the house, etc. But these days one of my favorite playlists to make is a travel playlist. I first discovered the power of the travel playlist last year when I spent two months in Nepal. My friends and I unwittingly created our own travel playlist just by listening to the same few albums over and over. The effect this had was to create in my mind an association between the songs and Nepal. To this day I can’t listen to Mumford and Sons or Lady GaGa without being taken back in time to Kathmandu. It also gave the three of us something to share with one another; it contributed to our group dynamic and created a certain mood between us.

For me, the purpose of the travel playlist is to create a certain mood for my trip. How do I want my music to make me feel as I’m biking on the backroads of Cambodia or gazing out the window of a train in Thailand? I also want to purposely create an association between certain songs and my travels, so all I have to do to reminisce is turn on a song. I think of it like a movie soundtrack, and I ask myself the question “If my life was a movie, what would the soundtrack be?” and then I make a playlist accordingly.

A travel playlist can be made several ways. One way is simply by listening to certain albums or artists repeatedly like we did in Nepal. For example, Kim has been listening to a lot of The Civil Wars, Needtobreathe, Damien Rice, Mumford and Sons, Colbie Caillat, and Mat Kearney. Another way is to create a mix with many different artists but a common mood or theme. In order to do this, ask yourself what mood you want for your trip and start skimming iTunes for possibilities. I usually add way too much to a playlist at first and then trim it down later. Since our trip is seven months long I opted to make two playlists with different moods, just in case I tired of one. In my iTunes they are simply labeled “Asia” and “Asia 2.”

My Travel Playlists:

My “Asia” playlist is meant to be soothing and inspiring, kind of like a Julia Roberts movie, and includes bits and pieces from all of the following artists: Alanis Morissette, Augustana, Branches, Bright Eyes, Brooke Fraser, Chemistry, Citizen Cope, Coldplay, Damien Rice, Fun., Gungor, Ian McIntosh, Iron & Wine, Jon Foreman, Lynrd Skynrd, Mat Kearney, MeWithoutYou, Mumford and Sons, Needtobreathe, OneRepublic, Regina Spector, Robert Plant & The Strange Sensation, Sufjan Stevens, M83, Florence + The Machine,The Paper Kites, The Verve, The Fray, and The Head and the Heart.

My “Asia 2” playlist, which I listen to less often, is meant to be upbeat and exciting, as if to say “Hey, look at how cool my life is!” It includes songs from the following artists: Aerosmith, Angels & Airwaves, A.R. Rahman, The All-American Rejects, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Eric Hutchinson, Falling Up, Flo Rida, Fun., Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Derulo, Jonny Lang, Lady GaGa, Lenny Kravitz, Matisyahu, Mat Kearney, MGMT, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Moby, Nicki Minaj, OneRepublic, Passion Pit, Pitbull, Relient K, Selena Gomez, Switchfoot, Train, The Vines.

The important thing is that I listen to music I want my trip to be associated with. I also need to take care of myself, and music often has a strong affect on mood. On a long trip away from home can sometimes be trying. I find that if I’m frustrated, tired, or homesick, all I have to do is pop in my Asia playlist to get me feeling a little more cheerful. And if I forget what an incredible opportunity I have by traveling, I listen to “Asia 2” and get to feeling awesome again. So goes the magic of the travel playlist!

For me, good music on any trip is essential. Before you strap on your backpack consider what mood you want your journey to have, and listen accordingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment